By: Natalie Chormann
Poor pumpkin: it gets such a bad rap. It’s continuously associated with things like pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin cookies or any number of other foods that, while admittedly delicious, are a nutritional nightmare. However, pumpkin itself is actually super healthy, surprise! It’s packed full of fiber which helps keep you feeling full and has also been linked with benefits like improving your skin, eyesight and possibly even preventing cancer. That’s not a half bad resume.
Who says you can’t have both seasonal and healthy treats? This super healthy pumpkin carrot muffin recipe is the best of both worlds; they taste like fall but are easy on the sugar and heavy on the nutrients.
- 1 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- Sprinkle of cloves
- Sprinkle of all spice
- Sprinkle of ground ginger
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 6 egg whites or 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil softened
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup grated carrot (roughly 2 large)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecan
- ¼ cup raisins, golden raisins or chocolate chips if you’re feeling fancy
- Pumpkin seeds for sprinkling
Cooking Time: 1 hour // Makes: 10 muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- No rocket science here, just mix up all the dry in ingredients in one bowl and all the dry ingredients in another.
- Grate the carrots, they work best if you do so by hand, but it’s a bit time consuming and if you don’t want an arm workout just pop them in the food processor.
- Add the carrots to the wet ingredients and then the wet ingredients to the dry and stir in the pecans and raisins.
- Scoop mixture into a greased muffin sheet or on top of cupcake wrappers and top the muffins with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit in tray for about 5 minutes then remove to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
These are best served slightly warmed up and make a perfect, healthy breakfast on the go. They also make a great little snack for a cozy fall day with a cup of hot apple cider if you want to take the fall flavors to the max. Enjoy!